Is there anything better than a good Pho?! Personally it’s one of my favourite dishes, especially because it’s so light and good for you. I often have pho once a week after I have done an evening F45 session, because:
1. I’m usually wrecked and can’t be bothered cooking anything with effort and it’s nice and easy.
2. I generally don’t feel to hungry straight after a hard workout and pho is something delicious and light which I can stomach and allows me to still get a serve of veggies in.
- 1 LARGE BOK CHOY
- 6 CUP MUSHROOMS
- 1 CARROTS
- 1 CELERY STICK
- 1 CILANTRO
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES
- 1 GINGER ROOT
- 1 GREEN ONION
- 1 LIME (SLICED)
- 1 RED CAPSICUM
- 1 ONION
- 2 CUPS VEGETABLE STOCK
- 1 TBSP CHILLI SAUCE
- 1 TBSP SOY SAUCE
- 1 SRIRACHA
- 1 BOX OF BROWN RICE PAD THAI NOODLES
- 2 PINCHES OF SALT
- 8 CUPS OF WATER
- 3 PINCHES OF CINNAMON
- In a large pot or stockpot, add onion, celery, 1 carrot, mushrooms, garlic cloves, ginger, water, vegetable stock, soy sauce, cinnamon, sea salt; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After the Pho base has simmered for 20 minutes, remove from heat and strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl. Then rise out the soup pot, rise the mesh sieve and strain the broth again back into the pot. Keep the strained vegetables for late and pop in the fridge.
- Place the Pho base back onto the stove, taste test the broth for flavour; this pho soup base is very light, add more seasoning, if desired.
- Increase the heat, and bring the Pho base back to a boil, add in Bok Choy and cook for 4 minutes, then add the brown rice noodles, cook for 2 minutes, then add in last carrot, onion and continue cooking until the brown rice noodles are tender (typically brown rice noodles cook fast).
- To serve, ladle some Pho broth, Bok Choy, Carrots, Onions and Tofu into the bowl.
* There are many other herbs you can add into pho but I personally am not a fan, feel free to get creative with the herbs and veggies you put into it, also you can definitely take out the onions in this recipe if you’re fructose intolerant.