20 WAYS TO MAKE THE WORLD A KINDER PLACE
Kindness, you'll hear me talk about it over and over again (I'm like a broken record)...
It doesn’t take much to turn your own (or someone else’s) day around. By doing one small, gracious gesture it really can make the world a kinder place. Last week after coming out of my Byron bliss, I had a really terrible couple of days with some even worse luck; This realization inspired me to think about my top 20 favorite small things or ways we can all do to leave this place better than we found it.
A few days ago, I'd had a rough day at work taking what felt like hit after hit - which then quickly progressed into hurting my finger during a netball drill, forgetting to pick ingredients up on my way home for dinner and then lastly finishing it all off with an allergic reaction from a new food I tried to introduce... you know those days which are just real rippers.
I told you, it was bad.
Then, the few days following this disastrous day I had a few people do/ say some really nice and kind things for me completely out of the blue.
And all of a sudden, I didn’t care that I’d hurt my finger or that i'd had an allergic reaction or about all the crap things that happened at work.
So, here they are.
1. Smile at people more! Start with your neighbor, barista or even a stranger.
2. Let a car merge in front of you and do it with a smile. I know how good it makes me feel when some kind stranger lets me in!
3. Buy an extra cup of coffee in the morning for a co-worker.
4. Leave a nice note in the morning for your honey. “I know you’ll smash it today at work!”
5. Forgive yourself for any mistakes you’ve made. Today’s a new day – let’s get on with it.
6. Give a generous tip to your waiter and a kind note on the bill!
7. Reach out to someone you haven’t talked to in a while (that’s why they invented Facebook!).
8. Eat and buy local.
9. Be kind to someone even when you’re frustrated with them.
10. Pay for your friend’s portion of the dinner tab without them knowing. They’ll be so surprised when the receipt comes for you to sign!
11. Hold the elevator door for others, it will make someones day that little be easier and less frustrating.
12. Compliment a stranger. This is one of my absolute favourite things to do. I let them know if I love their hair, or shoes, or even the way they've put themselves together. They usually light up like a Christmas tree with a smile; and i'm so happy i helped make their day a good one!
13. Let someone at the grocery store with just a few items go ahead of you at the cashier.
14. By something for your roommate or partner, i.e: favorite food or something they have been meaning to get but haven't had the chance - they will be so grateful.
15. Tell someone you had a disagreement with that you're sorry.
15. Open the door for someone.
17. Forgive someone who may have wronged you, not only is holding a grudge not good for you but they're probably feeling bad for whats happened and being the bigger person and forgiving them will make their day.
18. Tell your honey how particularly ravishing he or she looks today!
19. Buy some flowers for someone you love, family member, friend or partner.
20. Write notes of appreciation and love to three people each month who have helped make you smile and happy or to those who have helped change your life for the better.
Doing just one of these things is sure to turn your day around. And it’s sure to improve the day of your friend who’s had a crap week at work.
I’m starting now – are you with me lovelies? x